Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Leftovers.


.POSOLE.

Tyler, my boyfriend, rarely surprises me. One day, however, we were standing in his kitchen and he was proudly showing me everything he got at the grocery store. We came upon the freezer, which is normally packed to the brim with four twenty-somethings' Red Baron Pizzas and Michelina's Mac & Cheese Wheels, and he pulls out roasted green chiles and a bag titled "posole". I admit, I was surprised. Ty has always loved Mexican food, but I never expected him to buy the ingredients to make some from scratch!

A few days later, we bought some more ingredients...Chicken, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bacon (for the pork flavor) and various spices including cumin, chile powder, thyme, mexican oregano, etc. Oh, not to mention our secret ingredient, Chiu Chow Chili Oil. I know, I know, not Mexican. Delicious nevertheless, and packed with dried chiles, fermented garlic, and YUMMINESS. Who can blame me? I will say, that huge heaping spoonful of the chili oil made it quite the sinus clearer! So, you might want to nix that and use it for extra heat with all the fresh toppings that go along with, and make, this comforting and simple dish.

We did our thang with that posole, let me tell you! It was uber-delicious. Topped it with thinly sliced radish, queso fresco, fresh squeezed lime juice, cilantro, and last but not least, homemade fried corn tortilla strips. That was about a month ago, and tonight we are taking the leftovers out of the freezer and recreating the gloriously spicy experience. Aren't you thankful for leftovers? We sure are, especially after a long day at work. Whats easier than throwing a frozen chunk of delicious into a pot and letting it heat up? Well I just can't think of anything.
I will upload a photo later, and you will be jealous.

Ok, ok...Don't be jealous, just make it!

Posole Verde con Pollo

1 pkg. frozen "posole" kernels *Do not get "hominy"*
1 lb. freshly roasted green chiles or 1 pkg. frozen diced green chiles
2 lbs. chicken, skin on bone-in
1/2 pkg. bacon, diced
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
4 cloves chopped garlic
Mexican oregano, thyme, salt, & pepper to taste

Toppings:

Thinly sliced radish
Queso Fresco (or another mild white cheese)
Freshly squeezed lime juice
Chopped fresh cilantro
Fried tortilla strips



Render bacon in large pot, set aside. Sear chicken on both sides until brown and the skin is crispy, set aside. Saute vegg and garlic together until onions are translucent. Shred chicken, toss it and the bacon (optional) back into pot. Add green chiles, posole, and enough chicken broth to cover all ingredients in pot. Bring to boil and simmer on medium low until posole* is tender. Serve with toppings and enjoy!

**"Posole" is the UNcooked version of "hominy" which is precooked. Try looking in your grocer's freezer section, as "hominy" is usually canned.**

NEXT TIME I will use my nice camera and make it look at good as it tastes, I PROMISE!


No comments:

Post a Comment