Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Gold Dust Woman

Phoenix, Arizona

First of all...Stevie Nicks is one of my all time favorite female vocalists. She was flawless at her show on Friday night with Rod Stewart. Rod...Well...All I can say about him is that he sure can dance for being 70!
Of course we had to travel to Phoenix to see a show of such caliber,
so I get to enjoy (or not..) some grub along the way!

For lunch, we walked down the street to a lovely place that I, of course, had never heard of:
Duck & Decanter. I couldn't decide for the longest time what I wanted to order, but eventually settled on The Genoa, which consisted of genoa salami, italian herb cream cheese, roasted tomatoes, and fresh spinach. It was delicious! The only complaint I had was that the bread was so crusty, all the sammie innards were slipping out of the other side with each bite. Whatever, not everything can be perfect, and the bread was great. I also ordered the 5-Mushroom Soup, not only because I love soup (yes, even in the 85 degree Phoenix weather...) but I also love love love anything with mushrooms in it. It was oddly familiar tasting, resembling (to a T) the lovely mushroom soup at a local eatery here in Flagstaff, Mountain Oasis. This leaves me wondering...is there some sort of gourmet soup supplier that they buy these soups from, or do you just happen to have incredibly similar mushroom soups?
I think this will remain a mystery...
I do have to say, they had some pretty awesome and random kitchen items including
the most beautiful ($160) french press I've ever seen!

NEXT ON THE LIST.....Dinner @ BRICK

I was incredibly excited when we walked into this place. The decor was modern, yet still inviting, and the smell coming out of the front door was mouth-watering. They had lost our reservation, but were more than apologetic and sat us right away. On the way to the table, however, there was a young lady that seemed to be in a rush and when we were led in front of her, she seemed to get frustrated, so I apologized. She said "Its OK," very quickly and scooted around us. When I was sitting at the table, I noticed that she was actually a waitress! None of us had any idea, because the waiters and waitresses were all in free dress. You couldn't tell any of them apart from a normal, daily restaurant-goer.
Why have such a classy atmosphere if you can't even tell who works there because they're wearing casual dress that doesn't match whatsoever.
Anyway, their cocktail menu was rather impressive, and I fell in LOVE with my drink,
the 44th & Huck. It was made with huckleberry vodka, peaches, and the last ingredient slipped my mind after my entree was presented to me. It was fresh, delicious, and had just the right amount of sweet and tart. Would absolutely recommend!
I went ahead and ordered their Lemon Parpadelle pasta, and almost sh*t my pants when I saw that it cost an extra $6.00 to add chicken. Really? $6.00? I better be getting a whole damn roasted chicken! Of course I didn't add the Royal Chicken to my pasta, and was very sadly disappointed when it arrived and literally....just had pasta. There was my tiny little $12.00 mound of parpadelle pasta with a sprinkling of parsley on top. I thought to myself...this better taste damn good. Well....it was rather bland. I could hardly taste the lemon, and the sauce itself was lacking flavor...salt, even. My mother let me finish off her INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS cobb salad, so I wasn't as upset as I originally was. That is another thing...their salad was amazing, and my Aunt's burger was HUGE (and apparently rather tasty). SO...My mistake for ordering the wrong thing, but it makes for an interesting review!
We had two Groupon coupons and they graciously let us use them both,
which is normally against their rules.
We were very thankful for that, and went along our happy little way.

Lesson learned...
If you want to order the $12 pasta, make sure there is more than noodles involved....
you'll be a lot happier.

In the end, we were incredibly stoked to see Stevie, she most definitely made my April...and Rod's band member inspired me to play mandolin and fiddle!
We'll see how that goes...


No comments:

Post a Comment